Quilt-O-Rama

Thursday, January 12

old quilts

I was looking in the linen cupboard the other day, and I found some quilts that I made a couple of years ago. I still like this one, even though the quilting is a bit ordinary to me these days. I've been using it to pull over my legs when it is a bit cool in the mornings - most nights a sheet is enough but occassionally it is a little bit cool at 4 am. I think I used a thin poly batting, so it isn't very warm.

But I think I like the back more now - I used to piece backs for quilts, mostly to cut down on the cost of buying meters of fabric to make them. These days I prefer to not piece backs for a couple of reasons - the extra seams can add bulk/lumps for one, and it is a little more difficult to keep everything on grain (so it hangs flat - V V important to the Quilt Police, oops, I mean Quilt Judges).







The strippy bits were left over from the piecing of the star, and I added in a couple of what I then considered to be "dogs". Who knew that I would now be pining for a bit of that Ice Cream Cone Fabric? I know that there isn't any left - probably not in the entire world. oh well.....



I've started the quilting on this one - I'm finding it pretty slow going because I am doing a lot of colour changes (although I just quilt with one colour until the bobbin runs out and then switch to another colour to stop it from getting too boring). I am matching the thread colour to the fabric and basically doing little texture things that will be noticeable up close, but won't be so visible from a distance. The blocks are so busy that any fancy stuff would be - and I quote Karen K Stone herself here - "lipstick on a pig".

Meanwhile, I have a constant battle to keep The Management off my seat and out of sewing space. It is a losing battle, every day.


BTW - does anyone else have a cat that hates being brushed? These two H.A.T.E. being brushed, but they have so much loose hair in their coats it is flying around in clumps on the floor and I swear I have enough to make a whole 'nother cat. I bought a thingy that looks exactly like a fish scaler and it is excellent for getting the loose hair out of their coats, but I have to rassle with them every time I try it. They are not easily "persuaded", to say the least.

14 Comments:

  • wow that quilt is beautiful, and I love pieced backs..hate doing them, but love looking at them...poo poo on the quilt police.

    By Blogger Brit, at 4:30 PM  

  • There is more of that ice cream fabric and its in my stash... both in the blue and in a pink... imagine that. I am so in love with your colors...I probably have other fabric in my stash that you covet. The difference is you make beautiful quilts and I look at fabric and dream them. I love your quilts!!!

    By Blogger Cindra, at 2:04 PM  

  • Love the quilt too. I have never bothered with piecing backs....by the time I get that far I just want to get DONE.

    My long-hair cat hates being brushed too. I try to get it done in small doses when she jumps up on the counter to eat. I have one of those combs that gets the undercoat. Unfortunately, the dog hates it too and he is already blowing out his winter undercoat. So I have these wierd furry tumbleweeds floating all over the house so I end up having to vacuum more frequently and changing the furnace filter.....

    Wish we could use all that fur for batting without worrying about shifting and the smell....

    teri

    By Blogger teri springer, at 11:15 PM  

  • BEAUTIFUL quilts-- you are so brave & bold with your print combos and color choices! No wonder the cats want to stake out your quilts for themselves!
    I look forward to seeing more great stuff, so I've bookmarked your blog!!
    Beth a.k.a Paige Turner

    By Blogger PaigeTurner, at 6:57 AM  

  • Your quilt is just lovely. The colors are beautiful!

    By Blogger Diane D., at 3:50 AM  

  • i love this quilt!

    By Blogger Miriam, at 5:28 AM  

  • I stumbled on your blog - can't even remember what I was looking for!
    LOVE the QUILT! I too have the Karen Stone EQ5 CD, and I didn't buy the book either! BUT, I havent had the courage to start on one yet -- I love all the bright colors and combinations that you have used. - really great!

    I've been collecting ( don't you just love collecting fabric ? ) to do the New York Beauty in black and white prints... with a little color thrown in for grins and giggles.

    Ok, it's time to get the lead out and start - after all, its just ONE BLOCK AT A TIME!

    Glad I found your blog!
    Mimi

    By Anonymous Mimi, at 1:31 AM  

  • I don't usually like Lone Star style quilts but this is different. Perhaps it's the bright colours that attract me :-)

    By Blogger Brenda, at 7:36 PM  

  • Wow! That quilt is a stunner!!

    By Blogger Jo Griffith, at 4:11 AM  

  • Your quilt is very beautiful, even if it's not as warm as you would like !

    By Anonymous Frederique, at 8:09 AM  

  • My cats hate to be brushed. They look at you like hey wait a minute let me brush your hair. Oh boy they love sleeping on any fabric laying around or in the clean clothes basket. But you gotta love them. Both of mine are black and white like dairy cows. They are just a year old.

    By Blogger fabricmom, at 10:11 AM  

  • You use such great colors in you work! you have a real talent for the way you combine them.

    By Blogger PaMdora, at 10:51 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 AM  

  • I realize this is kind of an old post, and that I've also never been here to your blog before (I got here surfing from another quilt blog I think? I don't know, I've been happily browsing a lot of quilt blogs today) but I have to say that your little black and white cat (who got the lime green paint on her several posts down) looks very very much like my old cat Brit, down to the off-center white splotch on her puss-face. We used to say that before she was born, as her head went by on the cat-assembly line the printing equipment got a little out of kilter, and so the white patch ended up a bit off.

    She really does look like Brit—I mean it's spooky!

    See?

    By Blogger Thalia, at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home