Quilt-O-Rama

Monday, January 9

Finished, well almost finished.

I've finished all my blocks. I was on a gruelling 3-blocks-a-day regime at the end, because the end was in sight and I wanted to get to the quilting. And with each block taking me about 3 hours to finish, that's a whole heap of sitting in front of the sewing machine. Luckily I have nothing better to do with my time at the moment!

Here's the finished top:



I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out - I managed to use some of the "dogs" from my fabric collection. You know the ones - the odd fabrics that don't fit in with anything else. And I have some doozies that I dragged out of storage. Like the skull and crossbones fabric that I had for a pirate quilt I made for Nick a few years ago. Where else would I be able to use that?

Look what I found for the back:



This bee-yoo-ti-full fabric was in the cheap bin at Spotlight, can you believe that? I love it - the colours aren't quite as accurate in the photo, but what's not to like about hot pink background with red circles and orange middles? Apparently I am in the minority, because there were about 6 or 7 bolts of this lovely in the cheap bin. I helped out as much as I could and bought 6 metres (I only really needed 4 for the quilt back), but for $6 a metre, I'll take a few extra metres home.

I'm a bit stuck on how to quilt this - there aren't really any close ups of the quilting for Cinco de Mayo in the book. I hate that! I don't know whether to go with an all over pattern or if I should custom quilt each block (or even sections of blocks).

15 Comments:

  • Lynne, this looks FANTABULOUS!!!

    By Anonymous Caitlin O'Connor, at 9:55 PM  

  • What a happy quilt but WOW that was some killer sewing you did. I always having the how to quilt it dilemma too.

    By Blogger meggiecat, at 12:53 AM  

  • Wow, that is really beautiful. What fantastic piecing, and always fun to use up those "dogs" that made me giggle!

    Can wait to see how you quilt it

    By Blogger Brit, at 2:25 AM  

  • Gorgeous Lynne, just plain gorgeous!

    By Blogger JulieZS, at 4:35 AM  

  • Lynne, it's stunning! Seeing the blocks as you made them was fun but it sure didn't prepare a person for the final work. Really great job...I'm sending your blog to a couple of friends who like "beauty" blocks. Aloha!

    By Blogger Dianna in Maui, at 7:49 AM  

  • Lynne -

    The Cinco de Mayo quilt is GREAT! I love all the wild colors. And the pink fabric is perfect for the back! How big is the top?

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 10:53 PM  

  • I'm late to the comment party, but this is a stunner. Love it. Jen

    By Blogger Scrapmaker, at 2:18 AM  

  • This just caught my eye..... Your quilt is beautiful.

    This is something to be proud of...

    Junott

    By Anonymous Junott, at 11:18 AM  

  • Yummy! And, once again, because I am reading this blog backwards, I have the hot pink polka dot fabric... only I paid full price... so jealous, both of fabric price and your beautiful quilt!!!

    By Blogger Cindra, at 2:07 PM  

  • Love this quilt!

    By Blogger Kay, at 6:53 AM  

  • Awesome quilt. Great colors and design. Worth effort for sure.
    I write a blog on quilting--check it out if you have a second.

    Gina
    www.QuiltersBuzz.com

    By Blogger Gina Halladay, at 11:35 AM  

  • i love new york beauty, and this is truly stunning!

    By Blogger Miriam, at 6:21 AM  

  • I love your quilt, it's stunningly beautiful! How fun that you got to use some dogs and make something so spectactular!

    By Anonymous Lisa D., at 9:23 AM  

  • Oh! Oh! These are gorgeous (and very inspirational...I've only done about half of mine.) I've seen Karen Stone's quilts in person when I took a class from her, and she has quilting in every section of each block... maybe a flowery swirl in a block center quarter circle, little zig zags in the points of one arc, all different textures in different blocks. To be honest, if I hadn't seen it but had only heard the idea, I would have thought it would be distracting or junky, but it looked great and even sort of subtle. You know how her philosophy is to make each block a little quilt in itself? I think that's what she does with the quilting, too. Just FYI... But congratulations on getting these done!

    By Blogger Diane, at 11:48 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home