Quilt-O-Rama

Friday, December 2

Its a good thing I like chartreuse......

I've been meaning to paint my bedroom for a while now - we've lived in this house for 18 months now, and we still haven't hung pictures (or quilts, for that matter). All the walls are beige, in typical used-to-be-a-rental-property tradition. So the problem is while the colour scheme is fairly bland (ok - really, really bland), the colour is not ugly enough to make you want to paint over it immediately. But I finally decided that it was time to change, so I went paint shopping.

This is what I chose - the paint colour is called Leaf Bud. Sounds pretty, no? It looked so pale on the colour chip, and didn't look too bad when I had the paint tinted at Bunnings. Then I started painting. At which time the paint took on a life of it's own and became almost fluorescent. uh-oh. Much more chartreuse than I had intended, but I like it.

I have to admit, it looked better after it dried a bit, and much better after I had done the second coat. But it is Very Lime Green. When the sun hits my room in the afternoon, you can see a green glow from the hallway. But it does look good with my quilt, which is what I had planned, and I do intend to hang some quilts on the walls, so that will dilute the effect somewhat. I hope. (My sheets are aubergine, by the way, not black.)


Of course, no painting project is complete without a little disaster of some sort. You know the kind of thing I mean - spilling enamel gloss paint on the carpet while trying to pour into the roller tray - not that I would know anything about that. (ok - I did do that, but it was in another house and the carpet was crappy anyway. When I ripped the carpet out later, I had to sand the paint stain off the floorboards. ) I thought I managed pretty well on this project - I did of course end up with the requisite paint on clothing incident, a little drop of paint on the bed, but that was it. Or so I thought. The next day I happened to look at the side of the cat, who should be black. Well, she was still mostly black, just with a patch of lime green tips down one side. Hmmmm. This picture probably illustrates the scene of the crime, although I am yet to locate the matching patch of black cat hair on my walls. It could have been worse. Much, much worse.

Now onto quilting:

I've had quilters block on Apple Candy. I did some ditch quilting, and then was a bit lost on what to do next. I had wanted to do some McTavishing style quilting, but I haven't quite mastered it yet - not to a level that I am happy with anyway. But yesterday I was playing with some spiral filling patterns and worked out this pattern:

It's similar to McTavishing, but has more spirals. I'm pleased with it so far - but I am still working the kinks - like how to not quilt myself into a corner, because I don't like to quilt over the same line twice. Sometimes I have had to though, and you can't really see it when all the quilting is done, so I think I'll have to let that go. I know that for McTavishing the backtracking is an integral part of the technique, but because I use rayon threads to quilt with it makes anything doubled over very noticeable.

More quilting - I quilted little bubbles in the middle of the circles, and twisty loops on the pink and orange bits, but you can't see that very well in this pic.


This is the back - it is much greener than this picture in reality, but I like the whole cloth effect that is coming out. I match my bobbin colour to the top colour because I can never completely prevent the little bits of bobbin thread showing on the top, no matter how I set the tension on my machine. I don't normally go for plain backings, because you can see every little quilting mistake, but I think the quilting will be so dense that it will be difficult to pick anything out. Unless you are me, of course!

15 Comments:

  • That's really lovely, Lynne! I'm a big fan of your McTavishing. I've yet to machine quilt a curvy line, but looking at your work really inspires me.

    I'll be looking for a darning foot in the near future...

    By Anonymous Jeannette, at 9:57 AM  

  • YUM SCRUM to the lovely green! The Beloved refers to the prior colour scheme as "rental as anything"! we're about to repaint our bedroom and my studio in something FUN, since when The Beloved bought the house he painted every room the same shade of blue. I am so sick of blue!

    The quilting looks FABULOUS!! I agree with matching bobbin thread to top - after classes with Ken Smith, who deliberately alters tension and uses two different colours, I'm getting braver - but I like the smae top and bottom.

    So - more uni next year

    By Anonymous Caitlin O'Connor, at 11:40 PM  

  • From a girl whose office is lime green and cherry red and whose bathroom is violet orange and lime green...yum! The wall color is wonderful with your bed quilt. As to the quilting, envy, envy...looks fabulous.

    By Blogger gabrielle, at 1:15 AM  

  • I think the color is amazing! It works well with the quilt. Another amazing thing is the pattern that you made. I can't believe how intricate it is.
    I've been reading your blog for a while, and finally decided to comment. I'm not a quilter, but I would love to learn someday. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Meg

    By Blogger megretleigh, at 7:26 AM  

  • Lynne, That colour is wonderful and sparks like crazy off that quilt. I love your colour style :-)

    Cheers
    Claire
    (in Victoria)

    By Blogger Claire, at 8:36 PM  

  • Wow! I love your quilting. And the lime green works with the quilt. I laughed out loud about your black, white and lime green kitty, lol.

    By Blogger Elle, at 2:04 AM  

  • totally awesome! I love the quilt on the bed in the green room but I really love this spiral quilting on the apple candy. Great job...

    By Blogger Brit, at 3:34 AM  

  • Love the quilting... It's dense and complex and interesting. The photo of the paint doesn't look as "limey" as you have described... but it sure looks good with your quilt.

    By Blogger Debra, at 8:29 AM  

  • I have the same problems with my machine/bobbin thread. No matter what I do, it shows slightly on one side or the other. The reverse of the quilt really shows your quilting and is fabulous. I love the shapes, they're like flowers or sunbursts. Pity you can't show both sides at the same time.

    By Blogger annabel, at 2:33 AM  

  • Color. Lots of bright color. Love color. The cats show up nicely on all that color.

    By Blogger Vicky aka stichr, at 2:17 AM  

  • i second this commenter's comment:
    "totally awesome! I love the quilt on the bed in the green room but I really love this spiral quilting on the apple candy"

    By Blogger Miriam, at 2:42 PM  

  • I actually like the paint color, and it pulls your bed quilt *beautifully*!

    Still can't believe you do those fan blocks in only three hours each - you must be a whirling dervish at the sewing machine and cutting table!

    I'll be sure to stay out of your way!

    By Blogger Susan, at 4:16 AM  

  • I painted my basement that color, and now (1 1/2 yrs later) my daughter wants her room that color too. But, I ca't remember which company it was - do you?

    By Anonymous gretchen, at 11:51 AM  

  • Hi,
    lovely..all your work. ? in the pink and orange it looks like you appliqued those rings onto the green. Did you? Also, on your quilting do you use a walking foot? I have Bernina and have only quilted a couple of projects and they seem to be fine without walking. Can you email me at slegan@yahoo.com?

    By Anonymous Sherry, at 2:47 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home