Its a good thing I like chartreuse......
This is what I chose - the paint colour is called Leaf Bud. Sounds pretty, no? It looked so pale on the colour chip, and didn't look too bad when I had the paint tinted at Bunnings. Then I started painting. At which time the paint took on a life of it's own and became almost fluorescent. uh-oh. Much more chartreuse than I had intended, but I like it.
I have to admit, it looked better after it dried a bit, and much better after I had done the second coat. But it is Very Lime Green. When the sun hits my room in the afternoon, you can see a green glow from the hallway. But it does look good with my quilt, which is what I had planned, and I do intend to hang some quilts on the walls, so that will dilute the effect somewhat. I hope. (My sheets are aubergine, by the way, not black.)
Of course, no painting project is complete without a little disaster of some sort. You know the kind of thing I mean - spilling enamel gloss paint on the carpet while trying to pour into the roller tray - not that I would know anything about that. (ok - I did do that, but it was in another house and the carpet was crappy anyway. When I ripped the carpet out later, I had to sand the paint stain off the floorboards. ) I thought I managed pretty well on this project - I did of course end up with the requisite paint on clothing incident, a little drop of paint on the bed, but that was it. Or so I thought. The next day I happened to look at the side of the cat, who should be black. Well, she was still mostly black, just with a patch of lime green tips down one side. Hmmmm. This picture probably illustrates the scene of the crime, although I am yet to locate the matching patch of black cat hair on my walls. It could have been worse. Much, much worse.
Now onto quilting:
I've had quilters block on Apple Candy. I did some ditch quilting, and then was a bit lost on what to do next. I had wanted to do some McTavishing style quilting, but I haven't quite mastered it yet - not to a level that I am happy with anyway. But yesterday I was playing with some spiral filling patterns and worked out this pattern:
It's similar to McTavishing, but has more spirals. I'm pleased with it so far - but I am still working the kinks - like how to not quilt myself into a corner, because I don't like to quilt over the same line twice. Sometimes I have had to though, and you can't really see it when all the quilting is done, so I think I'll have to let that go. I know that for McTavishing the backtracking is an integral part of the technique, but because I use rayon threads to quilt with it makes anything doubled over very noticeable.
More quilting - I quilted little bubbles in the middle of the circles, and twisty loops on the pink and orange bits, but you can't see that very well in this pic.
This is the back - it is much greener than this picture in reality, but I like the whole cloth effect that is coming out. I match my bobbin colour to the top colour because I can never completely prevent the little bits of bobbin thread showing on the top, no matter how I set the tension on my machine. I don't normally go for plain backings, because you can see every little quilting mistake, but I think the quilting will be so dense that it will be difficult to pick anything out. Unless you are me, of course!