Quilt-O-Rama

Wednesday, December 28

a few more blocks

So far I have made about 18 of these blocks - so I am halfway to a quilt top.

I accidentally started using starch while I was pressing the separate units - I don't normally use starch for piecing, but it is making a big difference in how flat I can press, and makes the fabric hold it's shape really well, which is important seeing as most of the edges are off grain. I have dragged out a heap of "hard to use" prints for this, and they are working really well - and where else would I be able to use skull and cross bones fabric?

I get really stuck trying to not pick "matching" fabrics for these - I'm getting better but I cannot bring myself to use brown prints. The original quilt has them, and they look good, but I can't get past my aversion.











For Trish, who sent me a comment earlier - I use a normal domestic machine for quilting, a Janome MemoryCraft 4800 that I have had for about 6 years. Although I would like to upgrade to the 6500, because it has a wider throat space, which would make it easier to stuff more quilt under the arm of the machine. Next Christmas, maybe!

10 Comments:

  • wow, your work is so exciting!

    By Blogger Brit, at 12:49 PM  

  • I'm really wenjoying the pics of this - can't wait to see it all together! I'm a late convert to starch - I used to avoid it, but for tricky fabric or lots of bias edges, I now spray with starch until the fabric is almost wet, iron it dry - it's so stable then it makes difficult piecing easy, without all those &^#&*(!^ papers to pull out that you get with paper piecing.

    I've had a test drive of the new Janome Quilters machine - it's verrrrrrrry nice, but I think I'll keep my Pfaff.

    By Anonymous Caitlin O'Connor, at 10:32 PM  

  • Love the colors! Not to mention the squares themselves.

    By Blogger Elle, at 12:41 AM  

  • This looks like so much fun. I love it when I see fabrics I own in someone else's pieces... You and i have some overlap going on. Can't wait to see this as you keep going.

    By Anonymous Samantha, at 1:12 PM  

  • A friend posted your blog address because a group of us have begun making blocks a la Karen Stone. We are amazed at what our most traditional and most conservative friend is coming up with and now that Christmas is over I think it's time to hit the Karen Stone software. I have it, I just haven't had time to deal with it.
    What you are doing is inspiring and I will keep checking to see more. Great blog!
    Diane in Lake Mills, Wisconsin

    By Anonymous Diane in Wisconsin, at 7:40 AM  

  • These Cinco de Mayo blocks are amazing! I can hardly wait to see them all together in the quilt top. Thanks for sharing the photos!

    Happy New Year!

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 8:09 AM  

  • Great work all around. Good color use, great blocks, good finishing skills! Nice.

    By Anonymous Melly, at 10:46 PM  

  • Ooh! Ooh! I have this in progress too, but haven' worked on it since Halloween...Seeing your gorgeous blocks makes me wanna get back to work on mine! Good for you for working through these...they're challenging but the detail is so rewarding, huh?

    By Blogger Diane, at 3:09 PM  

  • Hi Lynne

    I have just stumbled over your blog, and your work is greeeeeat! Nice to see another Aussie, making beautiful works.

    xxx Claudia in Melbourne
    (dreaming of Queensland weather)

    By Blogger Claudia, at 7:37 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home