Quilt-O-Rama

Wednesday, November 9

Apple Candy

I’ve started back on this quilt – I‘ve been a stumped by how to finish the edges. I originally wanted to have a plain border in a darker shade of green, but it has not crossed my path yet. So this top sat for a while, unfinished, taunting me. Last week I thought I found the perfect green, and bought 2 metres of it. When I got it home it was more in the blue/green end rather than the yellow/green end that the rest of the background is. Not right. So I decided to combine all the green fabrics (including the new one) and make a mosaic of 2 inch squares instead of trying to find the “perfect” border fabric. I quite like how it has come out, so now I can move onto the best bit – The Quilting!



But first, the dreaded basting stage. Honestly, there has got to be a better way to baste quilts than crawling around on my kitchen floor (in humid, 30 degree days), trying to keep the backing flat, the batting even and the cats OFF.



I never quite manage all three. I wish I had a big table, or something, that would make it an easier process.

Anyway, for the quilting, I am thinking I will try out some McTavishing techniques, and free form feathers. I might have a bit more practice before I tackle the actual quilt though, it’s been a while since I’ve done fancy quilting.


I thought of the best name for this quilt – Apple Candy – it suits it, and makes me smile.




16 Comments:

  • What a fun quilt! I can't imagine it with a solid border...the squaares are working the quilt well!

    By Blogger Karoda, at 9:50 PM  

  • The bright colors are pretty cool! Looks like it got the kitty seal of approval!

    By Blogger Elle, at 3:34 AM  

  • I love all your quilts, I wish I had the time/patience/supplies to quilt. One day I will - and I'll be sure to stop by and ask you ow to make ____ type quilt in 492 easy steps :)

    (shh but I've been lurking on your blog for a while)

    By Blogger AussieMum, at 8:32 PM  

  • LOVE the mosaic border. Cute kitty too!

    By Blogger Nikki, at 2:29 AM  

  • Love that quilt, as I do all the ones you've shown here! Great choice for the border... it's fun when inspiration leads you to where it was meant to. :) You're a brave woman for trying the McTavishing. It always looks so beautiful, maybe I just need to get brave and take the leap. Thanks for the quilting inspiration!

    By Blogger tonya, at 3:01 PM  

  • Your choice of border is wonderful. I don't think it would have been so good with a solid border. Great work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:32 AM  

  • Great colors, and the mosiac border was a good idea. Very different looking.

    By Blogger PaMdora, at 1:06 PM  

  • Brilliant solution! That's a beautiful quilt. Jen

    By Blogger Scrapmaker, at 2:53 PM  

  • I love your colors and the mosaic on the border is the right touch....

    Can wait to see the quilted product....

    By Anonymous Junott, at 3:26 AM  

  • This quilt is terrific and the border suits it well. It really draws the eye. Love the cats, too.

    By Blogger Dianna in Maui, at 8:44 AM  

  • Wow. those colors are awesome. I particularly like the all green border! Nice.

    By Blogger Brit, at 7:22 AM  

  • Don't you just love stuff you've done that makes you smile? This one makes me smile, too. Happy piece!

    By Blogger Rayna, at 12:01 PM  

  • I used to take my basting jobs to a school gym after the kids went home. Check with the office as to when all that glorious (and relatively clean)
    hardwood is available.

    By Blogger deb, at 12:38 PM  

  • you are quite the quilter! fabulous stuff. I am blogging about quilting too. Have fun. check out my site if you have a second www.quiltersbuzz.com

    By Blogger Gina Halladay, at 3:39 PM  

  • Oh my goodness, I love this quilt. So much. The border is perfect.

    As for basting, if you ever find a better way to do it, let me know! I'll be on the floor, yelling at cats, and trying desperately to keep all 3 layers flat in the meantime ;-)

    By Anonymous Samantha, at 1:11 PM  

  • wow great colours...LOVE the name!

    By Blogger AJ, at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home