Finished the top. I am trying to finish this quickly because I know I will inundated with pointless assignments, group work and exams at uni in the next few weeks. The width of this is just under 42 inches - so I managed to get the backing in one length.
Quilting detail - I have taken some McTavishing principles and added swirly things to the stars. I'm pleased with how they turned out. The background is stippled in a matching purple rayon thread - shiny shiny thread.
For the rest of the quilt, I have stippled the purple background of the stars, and I will quilt the swirly middle on each one as well. I also started an all over loopy meander on the rest of the pieces - I used a varigated rayon, which is good on all of the colours in the patches. Of course, after I started this I had a much better idea for the quilting (at 4am, when all good quilting ideas occur) but it is too late now. I toyed briefly - very briefly - with the idea of unpicking, but then I came to my senses.