Quilt-O-Rama

Thursday, March 17

Is it just Me?

Yesterday Frances and I went to the supermarket, just to stock up on a few things that we can still eat while doing Weight Watchers (sigh, we both have a sweet tooth, so not much). So we piled in the salad ingredients, checked out the 97% fat free salad dressings (the WW brand one was not the lowest in fat and sugar, and it was much dearer as well - the swizzers). Off we went to the dairy section to scrutinise the desert selection. And we spent a good while comparing Fruches to Yoplait to Nestle to Ski for levels of fat and sugar content. They vary widely. We settled on chocolate Aeros, and some diet yoghurts. Off we went to the checkout, talking about nothing in particular and waited to be served.

So while we are standing there, minding our own business, this older lady in the next line comments - loudly - to us:

"You two have to be sisters, don't you?"

We glance at each other in surprise before nodding and smiling at the lady, and then muttered to each other about how we don't think we look alike. And thought that was the end of it.

Then this lady comes over to us, and babbled something about family reunions, and then breaks into song, something about sisters (I don't know what it's called, but on Mad About You many years ago Helen Hunt and her sister sang it because it was a family tradition or something). So now we're really uncomfortable. And then this woman HUGS me and PATTED me on the lower back area several times. I am not a hugger. So I was really weirded out by this stage.

We managed to get through the checkout, and on the way to the car Frances comments that she seemed like a sweet lady. And I replied that I had seen this lady earlier "god blessing" the lady demonstrating toilet ducks, and thought that the demonstrater must have known her, but maybe she didn't know her either.

Frances replies "You didn't know her??? I thought she was one of your quilting ladies!!"

I hope she didn't know me, because I sure didn't recognise her. I am pretty sure I have never met her before. Is this the first sign of Alzheimers?

1 Comments:

  • First off, not the first sign of Alzheimers. WE've learned that if you can question the forgetting, you're OK.

    Secondly.. the song your friedly lady sang: did it go something like:

    Sisters! Sisters!

    Blah, blah, blah...

    God help the mister who comes between me and sister. And god help the mister who comes between me and my man.

    If so, it's from the movie WHITE CHRISTMAS.

    By Blogger Debra, at 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home