Quilt-O-Rama

Monday, January 31

Procrastinating

I have been going crazy for the last 3 days trying to work out why I have been unable to connect to the internet. Finally, I managed to get hold of iprimus on the phone - after they hung up on me TWICE because "all the operators are busy". It turns out that somehow the bill hadn't been paid, which is pretty difficult to do when they are supposed to direct debit an account for payment. And there was no warning either, so I am pretty annoyed with them. And then I had to wait till Monday morning to have my sister ring the billing department and sort it out, because the account is in her name. (I faked being her on the phone yesterday, to no avail.) And they shut down my email account while they were at it, so all my mail has been bouncing. I think it is working again now.

What else have I been up to?

Not much in the sewing department, unfortunately. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with Australiana. I know I should just get stuck in and draw up the next blocks, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for it. I've been procrastinating for a week because I couldn't find a sketchbook I wanted to use for this (not that I looked very hard, but I did think about looking for it. For about 5 minutes last Thursday.) I found it this morning, so I can't use that for an excuse any more.

On Thursday morning I went on a second-hand shop-a-thon with a friend from where I used to work. We started off badly - the first shop we went to was no longer there. It's been an major store for about 15 years, and suddenly just gone. Onto the next, where we had better luck. I bought some books (distractions) and also managed to find some clothes - which I never usually look for because there is never anything in my size that doesn't scream "old lady" at me. A pair of jeans, a skirt and some track pants for $23, so I was happy with that. All up we managed 5 shops, and I was exhausted by the end of it. I also scored a fibre optic lamp for $3.50, it has a chrome sphere base and a plume of the optic bits, and the best thing is it rotates when it is turned on. I thought Nick would get a kick out of it and could have it in his room, but I am enjoying it immensely. I am easily amused sometimes.

And then I went mad on cleaning my son's room. A rare occurence, but it had got to the stage where I couldn't stand it anymore. I am not fastidious about these things (one look at my lounge room would convince you of that), but it was REVOLTING. I filled 3 garbage bags, and did 2 loads of washing, and there is still stuff to be done. Honestly, you'd think he was raised by wolves. Nicholas has the downstairs rumpus area as his bedroom - it has our old fridge in there and it has a bar (not for alcohol, but he could use it as a kitchenette). So it could be a nice retreat area for him, if he made some effort to treat it nicely, instead of a rubbish tip. I would have loved it when I was his age. So off to the tip yesterday to dispose of all the crap that generated, and to get rid of a dryer that I have been carting from house to house since 1998, when it stopped working. And while we were chucking boxes of stuff out, Nicholas is spying things that he wants to keep. I let him keep a bike chain. The man at the tip was laughing at Nick, and said to me that I was like his mother, only she would have thrown the bike out as well. I replied that if it would have fitted in the car, I would have thrown the bike out as well. The look on Nick's face! I bought him a laundry basket and a rubbish bin, so there are no more excuses for that pigsty.

I had the mother of all migraines last night. The sort where I get motion sickness from breathing. I had no painkillers in the house, and was plain miserable. I waited till my sister got up for work at 8 pm (she's a midwife, works 3 nights a week), and asked her if she had any painkillers. Bingo! She had Panadeine Forte and some digesics in her pocket from her previous shift. The Panadeine Forte weren't much chop, so I took the digesics after about an hour. They're fantastic. All cured now!

I have carried all my dying stuff upstairs, and will do some this afternoon, after I collect the boy.

I can't log into hello for some reason, so no pics for the moment. I think I want to do some sewing now, where to start? I should just finish that Isabella quilt - then I'll feel better. Maybe.

1 Comments:

  • Lynne, your response to my blog and Sydney is correct. Initially I saw those curving shapes as reminiscent of the Sydney Opera house too. I didn't want to be too specific tho in the final title because I want to allow the viewer her own interpretation. I tried to find your email so I post this privately but couldn't...
    Melody@mcihispeed.net

    By Blogger Mrs. Mel, at 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home