Quilt-O-Rama

Monday, January 10

dragonfly garden


Dragonfly Garden Posted by Hello

This is a quilt I made for the 2003 quilt show - the first time I entered a show. I would have been thrilled just to see it hanging in a public space, but I actually won a 2nd prize! Feedback from the judges was that it didn't hang flat enough - a problem I attribute to the mostly bias background. The setting triangles on the outside are on grain, but obviously this was not enough to overcome the bias of the main blocks. Oh well. I was still ridiculously excited to have won a prize!! This quilt is now on my bed, or on the floor in a ball, so I guess the hanging flat is not really important!

The flowers are from Piece o Cake's book "Stars in the Garden". I really liked the bold flower shapes and the symmetrical layout, but the colours were a bit blah for me. (the 1st prize winner in the same category as my quilt, was an exact copy of the quilt in the book, and they won best use of colour).

You can't see them in this picture, but I quilted little gold dragonflies all over the background, along with acres and acres of stippling on the background. The flowers and leaves also have more quilting on them.

1 Comments:

  • This is fantastic! No wonder you won a prize! I have the Stars in the Garden book too, mainly just to look at the cover...I'm not very patient at applique. I'm happy to see your quilt!
    Diane
    www.goingtopieces.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Diane, at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home